Wednesday, May 11, 2011


My plans to update my blog on a regular basis were thwarted by the fact that I have no way to connect to the internet besides dial-up, which requires impinging on Anne and Mike’s space and probably isn’t fast enough to upload photos anyhow. This is why I am beginning my fifth week living at Blue Heron Farm and I haven’t shared anything at all.
Here’s where I live now:

I hang out in here in the morning and the evening and all through the night.
In the morning,  I can be seen stumbling out to the propane tank that provides the fuel to heat my morning water for coffee/oatmeal/grits/facewashing. I slip on my overalls while the water heats and then eat breakfast before heading out to meet Anne, the big boss of Blue Heron Farm.
Over the past five weeks, we have
·            Planted, thinned, potted up, watered and mixed potting soil in the greenhouse
·            Pressure-washed crates
·            Tilled, weeded, and applied fertilizer, manure and woodchips to the blueberries
·            Maintained the tractor
·            Tied up raspberry canes
·            Transplanted lettuce, parsley, chard, beets, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, and kohlrabi into the fields
Right now, I work 8-5 or 6 with an hour for lunch. It’s pretty swank. Anne has no such schedule, and I feel a bit bad on sunny days when she drops me off at the end of the day, only to turn back around and go back to work until dark.


At night, I make dinner and read/write/draw/talk on the phone. I’m also integrating a half hour of pilates every night to strengthen my core muscles so that my back, already so fragile, doesn’t put me out of commission.
More updates to come.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome, Hailey. I'm happy that you were able to find this opportunity. It looks like a peaceful and rewarding experience. Take care out there.

    ReplyDelete